Bacon Kettle Corn
Hatfield Quality Meats
Published: May 10, 2013
Prep/Cook Time: 0 minutes
- 4 slices Hatfield® Bacon, cooked, fat reserved
- 1 Tbsp Maple syrup
- 1/2 cup Corn kernels
- 1/4 cup Cooking fat (use the reserved bacon fat and extra olive or vegetable oil to make Popcorn cooking fat)
- 3 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 1/2 to 2 Tbsp Salt (to taste)
- Cook off bacon until brown and crisp. Set aside to cool. Once cool, chop into small bits and toss with maple syrup.
- Carefully measure out the hot bacon grease. If you don’t have 1/4 cup of fat, add some vegetable or canola oil to make 1/4 cup of oil for cooking the popcorn.
- In a large pan over medium high heat, heat the bacon fat and oil mixture. Add the corn kernels. Sprinkle over the sugar and 1 teaspoon of salt. Cover the pan with a tight fitting lid and wait for the popping to begin.
- Once the popping begins, use two good pot holders to hold together the pan and the lid and shake the pot. Feel free to take the pot off the flame to give it a good shake. Just be careful and then return the pot to the flame. Shake often throughout the popping process. This will help ensure that the sugar doesn’t burn the pan and the popcorn.
- Once finished popping remove the lid and salt with 1/2 to 1 teaspoon more salt. Use a large spoon to stir the popcorn. You don’t want the hot sugar to burn you. Pour in the bacon and maple mixture. Toss together and serve.