Puffy Omelet with Canadian Bacon Filling
Hatfield Quality Meats
Published: October 09, 2015
Prep/Cook Time: 35 minutes
- 3 ounces Hatfield® Canadian Ham Slices, cut into thin strips
- 4 egg white
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (1 ounce)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped OR 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teasp white pepper
- 5 teaspoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 tomato (large), peeled, seeded and chopped
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored; stir in Canadian-style bacon, cheese, half of the basil, and pepper. Fold yolk mixture into egg whites.
- In a 10-inch skillet with oven-proof handle, heat 2 teaspoons of the butter over medium heat till a drop of water sizzles. Spoon egg mixture into skillet, gently smoothing surface. Reduce heat to low; cook for 7 to 8 minutes or until the bottom is golden.
- Bake in a 350 degree F. oven for 10-12 minutes or until knife inserted halfway between center and outer edge comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in skillet cook mushrooms and green pepper in the remaining hot butter over medium heat 3 minutes or until tender. Add the remaining basil and tomato; cook 5 minutes or till liquid is reduced, stirring occasionally.
- Loosen sides of omelet with spatula. Make a shallow cut across omelet, cutting slightly off-center. Spoon filling over larger half. Tip skillet and fold the smaller portion of omelet over larger half. Slip omelet onto a warm serving platter. Serve immediately.