Ham & Asparagus Omelet with Goat Cheese
Hatfield Quality Meats
Published: October 09, 2015
Prep/Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 4 asparagus spears
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 5 large eggs, separated, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 1/2 tablespoons soft goat cheese
- 2 1/2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh cilantro
- 4 paper-thin slices Hatfield® Deli Ham (about 1 ounce)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare an ice-water bath; set aside. Bring a wide medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add the asparagus, and cook until bright green and just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Plunge asparagus into ice-water bath to stop the cooking; let cool completely. Drain; halve lengthwise, and set aside.
- Melt butter in a 12-inch ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium heat. Remove skillet from heat; add garlic and set aside. Whisk together egg yolks, flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl until pale and thick; set aside.
- Put egg whites and a pinch of salt into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold whites into yolk mixture. Using a large rubber spatula, spread mixture evenly into reserved skillet. Bake until omelet is almost set but still soft, about 6 minutes.
- Sprinkle goat cheese and cilantro over half the omelet. Top with asparagus and a layer of ham. Fold plain half over filled half. Bake until cheese has melted and omelet is cooked through, about 3 minutes. Cut into 4 wedges, and serve.