Hatfield® Bacon and Pecan Pie
Hatfield Quality Meats
Published: January 27, 2015
Prep/Cook Time: 70 minutes
- 7 pieces Hatfield® bacon
- 1-1/2 cups pecans
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed and chilled
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease, chilled
- 3 tablespoons water, chilled
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- In a 350 degrees F oven, toast pecans until fragmented - about 10 minutes.
- In a sauté pan, fry bacon until brown and crispy on medium-low heat. Transfer onto paper towel to cool. Set aside 2 tablespoons of bacon grease for pie crust, cool in refrigerator.
- For filling, set up a double boiler with a metal bowl over a pot filled with water. Bring water to a gentle simmer. Melt butter in bowl, then add sugar, corn syrup, and a little salt. Once dissolved, whisk in the eggs one at a time until combined. Next, add in vanilla (add 1 oz of bourbon if desired). Continue stirring until mixture reaches 130 degrees F. Remove from heat, add the pecans and chopped bacon.
- For pie crust, put flour in a bowl. Add butter and chilled bacon grease and mix with hands until crumbly and fat is well distributed. Slowly mix in water: do not overwork. Shape dough into small disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll out dough between sheets of waxed paper - should be about 1/8-inch thick. Carefully lift off wax paper and place into a 9-inch pie pan. Crimp edges. Par cook in oven 10 minutes, occasionally poking with fork to release air pockets.
- Add filling to pie crust. Bake in 325 degrees F oven for 50-60 minutes or until crust is golden and filling is firm. Brush with maple syrup while baking.